Club history 

Lions Club
Luxembourg International

« 50 years of action »

The Lions Club Luxembourg-International was founded in 1972 by Marcel Flammang and has 35 members who, through their dynamism, enliven the life of the club and shine out in our community.

We inherit a long and distinguished history of service that dates back to 1917, when the Lions Clubs International began with the dream of Melvin Jones, a man who worked in insurance in Chicago.

Melvin Jones was convinced that local business circles needed to broaden their scope and, instead of focusing exclusively on business benefits, consider improving the community and the world at large. Melvin Jones' own group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed with him.

Similar groups were notified across the country and an organisational meeting was held on 7 June 1917 at the LaSalle Hotel in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the groups that had come, "The Association of Lions Clubs", and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year.

Thirty-six delegates representing 22 clubs from nine US states were present. The assembly began to define the future of the association and approved a constitution, by-laws, objects and rules of conduct. Since that time, Lions have volunteered their time and talents to meet needs wherever they arise.

Lions are particularly dedicated to the work of the blind and visually impaired, having made this commitment when Helen Keller asked members to become her "knights of the blind in a crusade against darkness" during the 1925 convention at Cedar Point, Ohio, USA.

Our motto "We Serve, We Serve" perfectly illustrates the dedication of Lions everywhere.

At our level, we have been working for 50 years to help people in need in the Grand Duchy. With projects such as the Food Bank, support for the Raoul Follereau Foundation, the Télethon, the Vaincre le Cancer Foundation or Sight First at a global level, etc.

The Lions Club Luxembourg International is committed to helping quality social works. Created in 2001 with the help of our club, the Food Bank collects and distributes food to the needy via charities and this exclusively in Luxembourg. Since October 2017, the Banque Alimentaire is recognised as a public utility institution. We can be proud of its success.

The Lions Club Luxembourg-International is twinned with the Lions Club Frankfurt am Main in Germany.